[texhax] [XeTeX] installing fonts in latex

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 19:45:37 CET 2012

2012/11/16 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:
> Dear Maria --
>
>> I am contacting you regarding an enquiry we have on installing fonts in
>> latex.
>>
>> We are working in UNIX environment and we would like to install a custom
>> font in latex. Is it possible to install a custom font? If so, could you
>> please guide us through? In order to install a custom font what should
>> be the file extension?
>

> I know nothing about Unix, but if there is a version of XeTeX which
> runs under XeTeX, then XeLaTeX may be your preferred solution.  XeTeX
> understands system fonts, so provided that your custom font is
> already in system format (Truetype, Opentype, whatever), then all
> that will be needed is to install the font wherever your system
> fonts live, using its canonical extension.

That's the easiest way. If you want to use the old way, you have to
prepare the tfm files, map file and fd file, optionally vf file and/or
enc file. There are some limitations in the tfm file (especially the
maximum number of distinct heights) and the non-TeX fonts may have too
much distinct heights. The files may need some hand tuning. I would
suggest to follow the XeLaTeX way. LuaLaTeX can use such fonts as
well, it is only useful to run mkluatexfontdb.

The system fonts may reside anywhere under /usr/share/fonts (or any
other directory known by your fonconfig)

> XeTeX list cc'd as you may wish to follow up there.
>
> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz