[texhax] fmt to cls conversion

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jun 21 15:55:43 CEST 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Varaprasad Bodducherla, Prakash Rao wrote:

> Can anybody help me, that how can we convert from .fmt to .cls file? Actually somebody has converted from cls to fmt by using etex. Now we don’t have source.
>
> I will be grateful for any kind of help

Do you have the legal right to do this?

In the past, when I've been provided w/ just a .fmt it was because the person who developed the .cls file was unwilling to share their source (and vice-versa --- I'd have to contact a lawyer if someone tried to re-construct my macros from a database publishing job where they'd purchased only the typesetting functionality and not the source).

It's un-ethical to reverse engineer something which the developer provided w/ the expectation that it would remain as a ``black box'' unless something else has come into play.

Contact the original developer and work w/ them. If that's not possible, post an explanation here and we'll see what we can do.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer