[texhax] Request for help: How to load Arial fonts in plain TeX?

宋震 songzhen2011 at 126.com
Fri Jun 15 06:11:36 CEST 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Is it possible to load Arial fonts in plain TeX?

I use WinEdt as compiler and the TeX system is MikTeX 2.9. Whenever I try to use Arial bold fonts, for example, MikTeX will display the following messages:

---------------------

The arialb source file could not be found.

Running hbf2gf.exe...

hbf2gf <CJK ver. 4.8.0>

Couldn't find `aria.cfg'

mektex-maketfm: No creation rule for font arialb.

! Font \ab=arialb at 10 pt no loadable: Metric <TFM> file not found.

1.6 \font\ab=arialb at 10 pt
           \font\ar=arialr at 10 pt \font \abi=arialbi at 10 pt

?

I am a novice user of TeX and have been using plain TeX. From several entries in the FAQ, I can see that there are ways to load Arial font family with LaTeX. However, nowhere can I seem to find any clue for TeX.

(By the way, some friends of mine who use PCTeX say that they do not have any problem using Arial fonts in plain TeX.)

Could you please kindly help, if it is not too time consuming?
I hope that it is in fact easy to explain it.  If it is too hard to explain to a beginner, please ignore my query. I understand that you work on volunteering basis and that it may be very difficult to explain these things to novices.

In any case, thanks a lot!

Zhen Song