[texhax] Suppressing chapter numbers in sections, in book documentclass

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jun 10 00:36:34 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-09 at 22:06:29 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

 > 2012/6/9 P. P. Narayanaswami <swami at mun.ca>:
 > > I am processing a book that has 100 sections, and no chapter or
 > > part.  I am using "book" documentclass (for various reasons).
 > > When processed in LaTeX, the section numbers (and in TOC also)
 > > are printed as 0.1, 0.2, ..., 0.100, using "0" as default chapter
 > > number. Is there any way to suppress this default chapter number
 > > "0", and get only the section numbers as 1, 2, ... , 100, in both
 > > the section titles and the TOC?
 >
 > Use \chapter? :-)

I suppose that Narayanaswami doesn't want that each chapter starts on
a new page and/or dislikes the way chapter titles are typeset.

 > \renewcommand{\thesection}{\arabic{section}}
 > You'll have to do the same for subsection etc.

Or use \documentclass{article} as a starting point.  Don't know the
"various reasons" for using "book".  Changing the visual appearence is
usually easier than changing the logical structure of a document.

The logical structure of a document whithout chapters and parts is
closer to "article" than to "book" or "report".

Furthermore, as far as I understand Leslie Lamport's ideas, the
documentclass "article" has no chapters in order to allow to create a
book or report from a set of articles.  This would mean that each
chapter of the book can be an article.

Can't I deduce from this that a book or report without chapter titles
actually *is* an article?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25