[texhax] Tex Queries (3): Cases for italic correction

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Sun Jul 22 17:35:23 CEST 2012

regarding the lack of an italic correction
on the d, paul stanley asks,

    Am I correct in thinking that there's very little italic correction
    possible for the d? If my memory serves me well, the right-most point on
    the baseline is very close to the actual right-most point of the glyph
    (the real width?)

no, actually quite a bit of correction could
be made for the italic d.  although the d is
a bit less tall than the ell, the slope is
the same, and the top serifs have similar
shape so they don't have any effect.

so "dx" has quite a different appearance than
"lx", although if both d and l are variables,
one would expect about the same space between
them and the x.  and it's not there with d.

if one is using d as a variable (though it's
apparently rather rare, relative to the use
of d as the differential), manual spacing
is sometimes necessary (for computer modern).
						-- bb