[texhax] Italic correction

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Sun Jul 22 00:04:55 CEST 2012

Your suspicion is correct.  When I compiled
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
$d^3=d\/^3=d{}^3$

$d\/^3=d^3=d{}^3$
\end{document}

The two lines appeared identical, with just slightly more space in the
second and third elements.

>From the replies, it appears that italic correction is automatic before
superscripts.  But clearly not enough in the case of the d and perhaps f.

Michael

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy--the search for a superior moral justification