[texhax] Latex on Windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 21 22:15:43 CEST 2012

 2012/7/18 great guy <man961.great at gmail.com>

 > > I have been using Latex daily for several years.  Mostly using 'pdflatex'
 > > as part of cygwin on Windows.
 > >
 > > Today I tried to setup my machine at my new job to process some
 > > of the Latex documents I had written.  I found the old way I
 > > download Latex is no longer working.  I cannot find 'tetex'
 > > within cygwin so I downloaded TexLive.  After installing I write
 > > to compile my .tex file using 'pdflatex' and seems like it is not
 > > part of TexLive.

Of course it is and has always been.

 > > I felt stuck since I rely on Latex for all my writings.
 > >
 > > Is there a page or link I should view to learn how to install Latex
 > > properly on cygwin?

How did you install it?  If you installed a TeX Live as a Cygwin
package, I could imagine that TeX Live is split into several Cygwin
packages and you didn't install all of them.

If you installed TeX Live from tug.org, you have to add the directory
containing the binaries (usually
/usr/local/texlive/1012/bin/i386-cygwin) to $PATH manually and to
start a new shell.

If you have further questions, please explain what exactly you've done
so far.

On 2012-07-21 at 20:54:20 +0200, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:

 > Do you have any specific reason to use LaTeX with Cygwin? TeX Live
 > runs great under Windows so IMHO there may be no reason to stick to
 > Cygwin.

Uwe, do you really believe that someone who deliberately installed
Cygwin wants to use Windows instead?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25