[texhax] Cases for italic correction

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 20 14:41:59 CEST 2012

The following illustrated another use for italic correction:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
$d^3=d\/^3=d{}^3$

\end{document}

I am sorry, but you have really have to see the output to appreciate the
difference.  It illustrates a real defect in tex.  The mit version of d
leans well outside the "bounding box" in a way that almost other letter
does (I think f might be another) and when you add a superscript, it
crashes into that ascender.  I wrote a book that had several hundred d^n,
where n was either a number or a letter.  These were face operators, for
which the d was the only letter ever used.  I used a macro called \dee
that added a little extra space, but an italic correction would have
worked fine.  I didn't realize until I tested it just now that a pair of
braces would also have worked.

Michael Barr

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy--the search for a superior moral justification