[texhax] TeX Queries (2)

Paul Stanley paulrichardstanley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 03:58:37 CEST 2012

"The `|\/|' tells \TeX\ to add an \break
% makes the line tighter, to be fair
``{\sl^{italic correction}\/}'' to the previous letter, depending on
that letter; this correction is about four times as much for an `$f$'
as for a `$c$', in a typical italic font."

What does the author mean by "makes the line tighter"?

What does "italic correction" actually mean?  I understand the idea
behind the `\/' and how it addresses the problem of the slanting
character taking up too much of the space that separates it from the
next character in a roman font.  What I haven't been able to
ascertain  from the TeXBook --- and would therefore be grateful for
some elucidation from the list --- is the visual effect of the
"correction".  for example, what does he mean by correction is about
4 times etc. ?

My  apologies for revisiting this. Only problem is that i can't find
the previous thread on the subject.

1: `\thinspace`` bla bla ''{'}

2: ``{`}rabit rabit {'}''

In 1 I'm assuming that the space between the two opening quote marks
needs to be widened, hence, my use of `\thinspace', however, the
space between the two closing quotes is sufficient although the
closing single quote needs to be separated from the closing double
quote mark, hence the `{}'

In 2 I've only applied the separation technique as it were with the
`{}' grouping braces, assuming that the default spacing between the
quote marks is the right width.

of course, I could be entirely wrong in both cases
So, without further ado, over to the list.

Many thanks,
Paul