[texhax] TeX Queries (1)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 9 22:43:07 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-09 at 11:29:59 -0400, William Adams wrote:

 > On Jul 9, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Paul Stanley wrote:
 >
 > > A few Tex queries from the TeXBook. I'm looking at the TeX
 > > source, however, you can download the PDF version
 > > athttp://net.ytu.edu.cn/share/%D7%CA%C1%CF/texbook.pdf :
 >
 > Please review the top of the source where it notes that one is not
 > supposed to compile it (there's a dispensation available for people
 > using it for benchmarks, but I doubt this site has it).

Not for benchmarks but just to allow people to examine the source code
of the book.

However, it's a pity that the copyright of the book doesn't explicitly
allow visually impaired people to compile the sources.  But I'm
convinced that neither Knuth nor Addison-Wesley object in this case.

It's definitely not appropriate to make such a PDF file available to
the public.  On the other hand, Paul had to provide the link because
he had to ask other people about the appearance and it wouldn't be
helpful if nobody knows what he's talking about.  You can blame the
one who exposed texbook.pdf to the internet, but certainly not Paul.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25