[texhax] problem with MathTime Pro 2 fonts and MikTeX

Stan texforeverything at att.net
Mon Jan 16 03:14:24 CET 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 07:39:09 -0600, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> ** Stan [2012-01-14 23:51:44 -0600]:
> [Sorry, I don't have any copy of MT Pro 2 to give more helpful advice]

>>> Use search engines, Stan. For example, google gives me these:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/miktex/forums/forum/33790/topic/4387778
>>> http://forums.pctex.com/viewtopic.php?t=12&sid=6c02e77729f71d0a027fcb20bad31428
>
>> I found those pages too.  Reinstalling as suggested in the first
>> page didn't fix the error I'm getting.  (Mine's similar but not
>> identical to the one on the sourceforge page.)
> W/o minimal example (LaTeX one would be perfect) and its log generated
> by pdf[la]tex it is difficult to find the source of the problem.

The example from my original email is the smallest I used, but it doesn't
even get far enough to put anything in the log file.  A log file is
created, but it's empty.

>>> P.S. Did you try MT Pro 2 with LaTeX?
>
>> Yes, with no luck.
>
>> I might have found the problem, but I still don't know how to solve
>> it.  I decided to open "updmap.cfg" in a text editor, and saw that
>> it doesn't have the lines from step 5 in
>> http://www.pctex.com/kb/56.html.  I searched for other files with
>> the same name, and found one in my "roaming" folder under "appdata".
>> It was created when I did step 4.  It contains only the following
>> lines:
>
>> %% T1 font configuration settings. See the MiKTeX manual for help.
>> # MathTimePro II
>> Map mtpro2.map
> I don't have Windows machine and MiKTeX right now at hand to check but
> "roaming" directory seems ok.
>
>> It doesn't seem to matter what directory I'm in when I run the
>> initexmf line and the updmap line in steps 4 and 7.  It's not
>> modifying the right copy of updmap.cfg.  (Or what I think it the
>> right copy, the one under C:\Program Files (x86)\MikTeX\....)  I
>> can't modify that file directly in a text editor, since I don't have
>> permission to save to its location.  Making a copy of it in My
>> Documents, modifying it in a text editor, and then replacing the
>> original with that copy didn't work.  Do you know if that's the copy
>> that needs to be changed?  I couldn't find anything in the MikTeX
>> manual about it.
>
> Try to run
> C:\> initexmf --mkmaps
> C:\> updmap
>
> The first command should merge all updmap.cfg files into one, the second
> command should generate file that pdflatex of dvips uses to produce pdf
> or ps file.

No luck.  Could there be some necessary step that the instructions take
for granted?  I've been refreshing the File Name Database, for example,
each time I try this, which is not stated anywhere in the steps.  (I'm not
actually sure that's required after doing it once after moving the mtp2
files into my local directory, but I've been doing it each time just in
case.)  I wonder whether omitting something like that is stopping the
"real" copy of updmap.cfg from being modified.

Thanks,

Stan