[texhax] creating a summary document

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/OCOO/ITSO) rjf2 at cdc.gov
Thu Feb 23 22:33:07 CET 2012

> Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:35:16 +0100
> From: "Neal H. Walfield" <neal at walfield.org>
> To: texhax <texhax at tug.org>
> Subject: [texhax] creating a summary document
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on my thesis.  A common pattern has emerged: I make a claim, I
> support the claim, repeat.  I'd like to create a summary document, which
> includes the claims and an enumeration of the arguments, but without all of
> the rationale.  I want to develop this document inline, so it is easy to keep
> both consistent, if I, e.g., move text around.  I could imagine using a macro to
> indicate what text is for the summary document, but I don't want to use a
> macro for the rest of the text, because this will clutter the document.  I guess
> this is possible, because it is essentially what the "List of Figures"
> is.  Is there a package to help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neal

Hi Neal

There are two choices available:

* one doc with a switch to flip

* two docs with includes

** one doc with switch
You may be able to get what you want with the
\includeonly
or
\excludeonly

http://clt.mq.edu.au/~rdale/resources/writingnotes/latexstruct.html

notes: usage requires
1. processing the complete document
2. saving the output as MyDoc-long
3. editing
4. processing with the include
5. saving the output as MyDoc-short

benefits: page numbering is same in both documents

** two docs with input

- - - MyDoc-long.tex
%etc
\begin{document}
\input(MyDoc-claim1)
\input(MyDoc-claim1-rationale)

\input(MyDoc-claim2)
\input(MyDoc-claim2-rationale)
\end{document}

- - - MyDoc-short.tex
%etc
\begin{document}
\input(MyDoc-claim1)
%\input(MyDoc-claim1-rationale)

\input(MyDoc-claim2)
%\input(MyDoc-claim2-rationale)
\end{document}

summary: two complete documents, with differing number of pages

Ron Fehd {SAS} macro maven