[texhax] TeX fonts with PDFs

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Feb 15 20:14:05 CET 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 12:19 PM, Firestone, Elaine R. (GSFC-616.0)[BIOSPHERICAL INSTRUMENTS INC] wrote:

> I'm trying to get some information, but the Web hasn't been very helpful, so I'm turning to you guys/gals.
>
> My co-worker gets PDF files for review from a colleague. The PDFs were created in TeX (from pdfTeX). My coworker wants to change words, etc. in the PDF but keeps getting the error message that he doesn't have the system fonts to do this. He's working in Acrobat Pro X, which allows all kinds of changes to a PDF, but without the fonts, it's a no-go.
>
> I've tried this on my machine, and I have pdfTeX, so I obviously have the fonts, but I get the same error message. I'm assuming that the TeX fonts are program files and not the type of true type or open type font files that Acrobat is looking for. (All of the documents in question were created with Computer Modern.)

They're usually Type 1 fonts which are not installed into the system.

> So, I guess my questions to you are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to change text in a PDF created from TeX (NOT LaTeX) in Acrobat?

Yes, but one needs to create the .pdf so that it uses the core PostScript font set or using system fonts common to both systems (using xetex) or use a specialized plug-in such as Enfocus PitStop.

> 2. Do actual True Type or Open Type font files exist for Computer Modern that can be installed on both PCs and Macs that can be used for this purpose?

One can install OpenType versions of the Computer Modern fonts (or the Type 1 versions) but this has some issues:

 - the OpenType versions aren't as easy to use in TeX (maybe not as capable either --- I don't think they have the math tables)
 - the OpenType / Type 1 versions clutter up most system font menus to the point that most users complain loudly and remove them

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer