[texhax] Question about \setbox

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Sep 16 12:03:52 CEST 2011

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> I don't know/remember what Vafa wants in the first place.
> \lastbox only gets the last box/last line. It is even empty
> if there is something different at the end of the
> \vbox (\kern, whatsit, ...).

Well, in his test case, he inserts a short stretch of text
that we can predict, with reasonable confidence, will fit
within a single line box.  Therefore, after \unvboxing,
\lastbox will be the line box so created.  Of course, this
doesn't generalise, but it does seem to address his specific
needs for this test case, which may suffice.

** Phil.