[texhax] A Self-Referential Logo

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Oct 4 13:21:33 CEST 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Iraj Kalantari wrote:

> At times, I produce a one-page (pdf) document (say a quiz) where there is a logo on the top left margin.
>
> The logo is a reduced (in size) of the typeset version of the very page (minus the appearance of a logo on the top of the logo).
>
> Sometimes, I do that a couple of times and the logo 'looks' identical to the regular version of the page (but, of course, unreadable are the logos as they get smaller).
>
> I presume, TeX can do that *efficiently* by some technique (where typesetting a couple of times continues to create a logo of the previous version of the page).
>
> Has this been done?

Yes.

> Anyone up to it?

It's trivial to do, just pull in the first page of the current document (it will still be present when the typesetting run is begun) --- the problem is one needs to write up a script / counter to keep track of how deep the nesting goes and to manage it so as to keep it reasonable --- depending on the complexity of the .pdf one will eventually hit a nesting limit for the .pdf file format.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer