[texhax] tabu* and LuaTeX

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Mon Nov 14 13:02:47 CET 2011

Le 14/11/2011 12:22, Arno Trautmann a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have troubles using the tabu* environment from the tabu package to
> typeset verbatim material using LuaLaTeX. The following example:
>
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{tabu}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \begin{tabu*}{Xl}
> \verb+\test+
> & test \\
> \end{tabu*}
> \end{document}
>
> results in an error:
>
> ./test.tex:10: Extra }, or forgotten $.
> <recently read> \egroup
>
> l.10 \end{tabu*}
>

> ?
>
> I think I could isolate the error to \scantokens.

Could you elaborate on that? It'd help.

> This is used by tabu, and the above example works (!) with pdfLaTeX as
> well as XeLaTeX.

The difference I see between LuaTeX and pdfTeX is that in the former a $
is encountered, opening a math group, so the following end-of-group
character is out of place (hence the error). But I don't know where this
math-shift comes from.

> So I consulted the LuaTeX manual and found 2.7.4 about \scantextokens.
> Well, I tried to be very “clever” and
> \let\scantokens\luatexscantextokens, but the error remains. (Of course
> XeTeX and pdfTeX now fail)

\scantokens should have its legacy behvior in LuaTeX.

Best,
Paul