[texhax] tabu* and LuaTeX

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Mon Nov 14 12:22:17 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have troubles using the tabu* environment from the tabu package to
typeset verbatim material using LuaLaTeX. The following example:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{tabu}

\begin{document}

\begin{tabu*}{Xl}
\verb+\test+
  & test \\
\end{tabu*}
\end{document}

results in an error:

./test.tex:10: Extra }, or forgotten $.
<recently read> \egroup

l.10 \end{tabu*}

?

I think I could isolate the error to \scantokens. This is used by tabu,
and the above example works (!) with pdfLaTeX as well as XeLaTeX. So I
consulted the LuaTeX manual and found 2.7.4 about \scantextokens. Well,
I tried to be very “clever” and \let\scantokens\luatexscantextokens, but
the error remains. (Of course XeTeX and pdfTeX now fail)

so … what's going on here? Is this a bug in LuaTeXs \scantokens that
behaves differently from the ε-TeX version? Or is something wrong with
the LuaLaTeX setup? Did the package author miss anything? Or, most
probably, am I doing something wrong?

I'd be happy about any comment, be it explanations, workarounds or even
full bugfixes ;)

cheers
Arno