[texhax] adobe 10

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun May 29 20:17:41 CEST 2011

"Reinhard Kotucha" <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote 29.05.2011 01:26:57:
> AR can read from an already opened file whenever it wants,
> regardless of whether TeX created a new, incompatible,
> version of a file with the same name.

Actually, my AR 8 on Linux Linpus offen stalls when I try to browse the previous file version.

> If you want AR to display the newly created file, you have to close
> the old file (which still exists) *explicitly* and open the file again.

A feature that one may not like in a workflow.

The workflow aspect was discussed a year ago:

    http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2010-April/014692.html

I tried to summarize that discussion on:

    http://www.webdesign-bu.de/uwe_lueck/makeshow.htm#PDF

> On 2011-05-28 at 19:38:05 +0200, Philipp Stephani wrote:
> > The solution to all this (using Sumatra PDF) has already been
> > posted, so I don't see much reason to continue this thread.
>
> It's not a solution at all, sorry. Does Sumatra PDF support
> animations, movies, JavaScript, layers, interactive 3D graphics,
> attachments, and so on? All this is already supported by pdftex since
> it exists, i.e. for more than a decade. Most PDF viewers are not even
> able to display the documentation of the respective LaTeX packages
> properly, hence people using crippled viewers don't even notice what
> they are missing.
>
> Sorry, but PDF is by far much more than DVI with hyperlinks.
>
> I can only recommend to use a PDF viewer which actually supports PDF,
> even if it's a bit clumsy and only free in the sense of free beer.

Many postings I have read indeed indicate that AR is the only
PDF viewer supporting all PDF features. On the other hand,
many people do not need all of them and prefer something
minimalistic instead, such as

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra_PDF

that Lars recommended.

Cheers,