[texhax] inline lists

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri May 13 17:33:55 CEST 2011

"Steve Peter" <speter at mac.com> wrote 13.05.2011 16:28:48:
> On May 13, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Uwe Lueck wrote:
>
>> "Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd)" <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote 13.05.2011 10:34:32:
>>> Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
>>> Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
>>
>> Hm, somehow many people seem to prefer
>> *buying* fish to catching fish themselves,
>> or *begging* for fish, somehow successfully,
>> sometimes.
>
> All this talk of fish makes me wonder: how does it scale?

An important point: you can *buy* scaled fish,
you can't *catch* scaled fish.

I assume this is what you are asking for:
The area of scales of a fish is about as proportional
to the *square* of the length of the fish,
while the volume and weight of a fish are about as
proportional to the *cube* of the length of the fish.

Therefore, at some "break-even point" you may wonder
whether to catch or to buy the fish.
Or whether to wait until it has grown long enough
-- and here the circle closes with (allegedly Shaw's)
`ghoti'.

Hope this helps,

    Uwe.