[texhax] (La)TeX engine that supports both fontspec and PostScript output?

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Tue Mar 22 16:50:22 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com>wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Peter Davis wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, fontspec works with XeTeX/XeLaTeX, and with
> LuaTeX/LuaLaTeX/ConTeXt.  For a project, I'd like to be able to generate
> PostScript (without having to go through a Ghostscript-based converter), but
> still have access to local OpenType, TrueType and Type 1 fonts.
> >
> > Anyone know of a solution for this?
>
> Not AFAIK.
>
> I guess what you'd need to write would be ``xdvips'' which would support
> xelatex's xdv format, and instead of .pdf would emit PostScript code.
>
> It should be straight-forward since PDF is supposed to be a subset of PS,
> but I suspect there're going to be a lot of edge cases which will be
> surprising and difficult at the worst possible moment.

Thanks, William.  Unfortunately, as I understand it, XDVI is not
particularly well documented.  I think the "official" approach is to reverse
engineer is from the existing xdvipdfmx code, according to a few emails from
Jonathan Kew that I found.

Also, PDF is not really a subset of PS anymore ... not since PDF 1.4, when
they added transparency and a few other features.

Thanks!
-pd

--
----