[texhax] Using longtable to format a resume

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Mon Mar 14 01:47:07 CET 2011

Added minimal example below ...

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Peter Davis <pfd at pfdstudio.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to update a resume and convert it to LaTeX (from Word).  The
> main 'experience' section should be a two-column table in which each row is
> of the form:
>
> Left column:
>
> Company
> Title
> Date
>
> Right column:
>
> * Most recent accomplishment
> * Next most recent accomplishment
> * etc.
>
> I can do most of this, but there are some details I can't seem to get:
>
> 1) I would like the left column to have a light gray background tint
>
> 2) I've created a list environment, bulletlist, defined as
>

> \newenvironment{bulletlist}{\begin{list}{$\bullet$}{\setlength{\topsep}{0pt}\setlength{\itemsep}{2pt}\setlength{\parsep}{0pt}\setlength{\partopsep}{0pt}}}{\end{list}}
>
> Even with this, I can't get the first bullet in the right hand table cell
> to align with the first line ("Company") in the left hand cell.  There's
> always a blank line at the top.
>
> Any suggestions for solving either (or, better yet, both ) of these
> problems?

Here's a minimal example that illustrates the problem.  Note that if I put
the first column's text in a vbox, the second column doesn't align with the
first at all, as seen in the second row of this table.

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{longtable}

\newenvironment{bulletlist}{\begin{list}{$\bullet$}{\setlength{\topsep}{0pt}\setlength{\itemsep}{2pt}\setlength{\parsep}{0pt}\setlength{\partopsep}{0pt}}}{\end{list}}

\begin{document}

\begin{longtable}{p{1.75in} p{2.25in}}

{\bfseries Company}\newline Job title\newline Dates & \begin{bulletlist}
\item Most important item
\item Second most important item
\item Third most important item
\end{bulletlist} \\

\vbox{{\bfseries Company}\newline Job title\newline Dates} &
\begin{bulletlist}
\item Most important item
\item Second most important item
\item Third most important item