[texhax] How to use Win fonts under Linux?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Mar 12 01:42:11 CET 2011

On 2011-03-11 at 17:02:30 -0500, William Adams wrote:

 > On Mar 11, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 > > Mathpazo uses URW Palatino for text
 >
 > URW Palladio.

Oh yes, you are right.  But it's actually a Palatino.

When I met Hermann Zapf for the first time (in 2000), I asked him
whether the Palatino variants provided by Bitstream and URW are
authentic.  His response: "Sigh!".

He told me that Palatino is a registered trademark of Linotype and
that Linotype didn't allow him to use the name "Palatino" for the
fonts he prepared for Bitstream and URW.  He's still annoyed.

And during the conversation I got the impression that he even doesn't
know the names Bitstream and URW are using for his "Palatino" and that
he isn't overly interested in this knowledge.  He always calls his
font "Palatino", even when talking about his collaboration with
Bitstream and URW.

Since all these fonts were designed by Hermann Zapf himself, and he
prefers the name "Palatino", I often refer to Palatino even if
/FontName is Palladio, ZapfHumanistWhateverBT, QuasiPalatino[1],
Pagella...

The restriction imposed by Linotype is quite annoying, IMO.  And I can
assure you that I'm not the only one who is annoyed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

[1] QuasiPalatino is the predecessor of TG Pagella and Linotype
    complained loudly because the name "QuasiPalatino" contains
    the word "Palatino".  I can only cite Hermann Zapf: "Sigh!".

Marschnerstr. 25