[texhax] Index in (e)plain TeX

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:32:03 CET 2011

I've never had to create an index in plain TeX before, and there's
obviously a simple trick that I'm missing...

After reading the TeX FAQ, my understanding (which is presumably wrong,
since it doesn't work) is that the workflow is supposed to be:

1. pdftex
2. makeindex
3. pdftex

I have a couple of test \idx commands in the plain TeX file, and after step
1 the *idx file is created.

After step 2 the *ind file is created, and it looks OK (at least it has
plausible stuff in it).

But in step three, the \readindexfile{i} produces no output. Looking at the
*ind file I see things that look like LaTex, not plain TeX (i.e., \begin,
\item and \end commands), but no errors are logged -- and no output either.
Reading the eplain documentation leads me to believe that the LaTeX-like
commands are what is expected. So I don't understand why no output is being
produced by the \readindexfile{i} command.

I feel like an idiot for having to ask, but what am I doing wrong?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR