[texhax] Technical question

Uwe Ziegenhagen ziegenhagen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:24:13 CET 2011

2011/3/2 Dr A K Hannaby <keith.hannaby at mathshelp.com>

>  Dear Tug
>
> /
>
> I am running AmsBook under MiKTeX 2.9 which is doing the job excellently.
>
> /
>
> Creating the .dvi file is not a problem.
>
> But when I try to create a pdf file, I get the error message:
> [DocOpen("%bm.pdf")][DocOpen("Open("%bm.pdf")] ... "Cannot execute the
> command".
>
> /
>
> Three phrases like of the kind:
> [DocOpen("%bm.pdf")][DocOpen("Open("%bm.pdf")] appear by default in the
> setting up boxes when setting up the output formats: dvi, pdf and PS.
>
> /
>
> If these are phrases are not precise, how do I figure exactly what they
> should be?
>
> /
>
> Can you confirm whether or not I need Adobe Acrobat to enable pdf files to
> be created. [A YES or NO answer if possible, because I would need to buy
> it.]
>
> /
>
> Yours
>
> Keith
>

> Message sent by Dr A K Hannaby

How exactly are you calling LaTeX? Are you using some kind of editor? Look,
if there is a way to switch to pdfLaTeX.

The error indicates the PDF file was not generated.

You definitely do not need to buy Acrobat, pdfLaTeX.exe generates PDFs
directly.

Uwe

Uwe Ziegenhagen
<http://www.uweziegenhagen.de>