[texhax] \headline in LaTeX document

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:33:59 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 07:05:54PM +0300, electric-reality at yandex.ru wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:46:57 +0200
> Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > And what's the problem then?
> >
> > If the template is errorneous, then ask the person who is responsible/
> > gave it to you.
> >
>   Yes, it seems to be reasonable to me, but the truth is I got that
> file as a template for the article targeted to the conference
> proceedings. The organizers sent me both the template.tex and
> template.pdf (a resulting PDF file).

Perhaps they have used a different version of template.tex.

> This means they managed to
> generate the correct PDF file using that LaTeX template, I believe.
>   That is why I thought that there might be some implicit knowledge
> which I do not possess. And that is why I decided to ask here for there
> are a many people experienced in LaTeX tricks here.
>
>   So, is using a "\headline" command in *LaTeX* file a complete
> nonsense?

It is not provided and defined by LaTeX.

I do not know template.tex. Therefore I cannot say much about
the purpose of \headline there. Perhaps you can post the first lines
of the template? Also a template does not necessarily means it can
be compiled. Perhaps you have to delete/modify some stuff first.
Or \headline is defined in a master proceedings TeX file and
the article files only uses them. Then you can add
  \providecommand*{\headline}[1]{}
  \providecommand*{\footline}[1]{}
before they are used.

But I would ask the organizers. An easy question in an early stage
is better than problems afterwards when time runs out.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek