[texhax] installed MacTeX, unable to typeset anything

Jacob Wegelin jacobwegelin at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 19 16:26:01 CEST 2011

Thanks to Herbert Schulz and to Victor Ivrii.

There is no Tex in Preferences. There is no "tex" in my path:

~/Documents/tmp> echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/Users/user/bin
~/Documents/tmp>

Should the mpkg modify my path if it installs correctly?

Thus I will try re-downloading MacTeX.mpkg.zip from http://www.tug.org/mactex/downloading.html.

But also, that page provides a way to check whether the download was successful, by "md5 checksum." Following the directions on that page, I have typed

openssl md5

at the command line. But now, no application has opened. It just hangs and does not give me the prompt back, although the unix "ps" command tells me is a job is running:

51681 ttys003    0:00.01 openssl md5

Why would "openssl md5" not work?

Is there any reason to use that approach rather than a command-line "cksum"? I have renamed the zip file that I downloaded a couple days ago. Then I get the following:

~/Documents/SoftwareDownload> cksum z_maybeNotComplete_MacTeX.mpkg.zip
3330821786 1658480578 z_maybeNotComplete_MacTeX.mpkg.zip
~/Documents/SoftwareDownload>

which seems to have nothing to do with the "6d0accc96231497196c403b9f0925016" given on the website.

There *is* the following, however:

~/Documents/tmp> ls /Library/ | egrep -i tex
Contextual Menu Items/
TeX/
~/Documents/tmp>

I'm very curious why openssl md5 would not work.

Jacob Wegelin