[texhax] JPEG preview of XeLaTeX page?

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Fri Jul 8 14:35:07 CEST 2011

<martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
> > 2011/7/7 Peter Davis <pfd at pfdstudio.com>:
> > > workflow.  Unfortunately, I can't include anything that
> > > uses Ghostscript, since that can't be redistributed.
> >
> > [citation requested]
> >
> > GhostScript is under the GPL nowadays...
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that Ghostscript
> can't be redistributed as part of a commercial software
> package.  I'd be happy to be wrong on this point, and I'm
> going to have another look at the GPL to see if I am.

There are commercial products which contain GPL software.  The
television in my living room uses Linux as the OS, and the
original software in my TP-Link router was Linux (now running
OpenWRT).  Occassionally one sees news articles about something
commercial having GPL software in it, ending up in discussions
with people knowledgable in law and the GPL.  As I understand
things, the usual problem is that these commercial operations are
not set up in such a way, that people can get access to the GPL
software if they so choose.

One place a person might look to start researching this, is the
Wikipedia article on Busybox.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox#GPL_lawsuits
I would expect the Software Freedom Law Center to have some
information on this, Busybox does have something on this.

Gord