[texhax] To not expanding macros, is there anything else besides \string?

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 5 16:40:31 CET 2011

Barhorst, Alan wrote:

> Hello, I am sorry for the naivety of this question, but here it
> goes.  I am trying to use \immediate\write on file 14 and 15 for
> information that is generated/input in my main LaTeX session.
> They are solutions to problems that I want to assemble in an
> appendix.  The problem is that any macro I pass to the write
> command gets immediately expanded, and all I have found in the
> literature is that I need to put \string in front of every
> macro.  What I am hoping is that there is one big wrapper macro
> I can place around anything I want to write to a file for later
> expansion.  If there is such a creature I would appreciate
> someone who could point it out to me.  There seems to be hints
> of this in styles such as inlinedef, but it seems to not work or
> I don't understand how it works.

Alan, check the e-TeX Reference Manual : there are many new
primitives in e-TeX intended to address exactly this sort
of problem.

	http://www.tug.org/texmf-dist/doc/etex/base/etex_ref.html

Philip Taylor
--
Not sent from my i-Pad, i-Phone, Blackberry, Blueberry, or any
such similar poseurs' toy, none of which would I be seen dead