[texhax] Small caps in XeLatex

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Feb 28 17:26:11 CET 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 6:48 AM, R. Bhaskar wrote:

> I use a bunch of font declarations with the \newfontfamily{<fontname>} command, where <fontname> is always a Mac OS X font.  How do I get \textsc to work? I have set the romanfont to be Baskerville, but any declared romanfont seems to make it impossible for the \textsc command to work.

You have to use a font which includes the small caps feature, e.g., Hoefler Text:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}
\begin{document}
Text set in \textsc{Hoefler Text}.
\end{document}

The Baskerville bundled w/ Mac OS X unfortunately doesn't have small caps.

See the FontSpec documentation for full details.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer