[texhax] Issues with Hebrew in XeLaTeX

Moshe Kamensky moshe.kamensky at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 27 20:35:07 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm having some minor issues typing Hebrew with XeLaTeX (at least, I
assume they are Hebrew related...). I'm using polyglossia and xltxtra
(though I don't know precisely what effect does it have).

1. When writing in English, I use ``this'' to produce the correct kind
   of quotes in the output. In Hebrew, this doesn't seem to work (I
   tried both variants). How do I produce the correct quotes?
2. Similarly, --- does not produce one long dash but three short ones.
   How do I produce the long dash?
3. No hyphenation seems to take place. I don't know exactly how to test
   it definitely, but I tried several text, and none of it produced
   hyphenation. Do I need to do anything other than use polyglossia?
4. When I get an overfull hbox, the text extends out of the paragraph to
   the right (as it would in English), but this looks much worse in
   Hebrew. Is there a way to make it extend to the left instead?

Thanks,
Moshe