[texhax] trouble with texhash and pst-algparser.pro

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 22 23:41:51 CET 2011

Herbert:

> On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Thomas Schneider wrote:
>
> > Reinhard:
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response.

> >> Never call TeX programs with an absolute path.
> >
> > I generally don't.  However, having moved the 2008 directory somewhere
> > else, I needed to be sure I was running the new version.  Are you
> > saying I should have done this:
> >
> > cd /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/uniersal-darwin/
> > sudo texhash
> >

> Howdy,

> Do you have the System Preferences->TeX Distribution preference
> pane?

Yup!

> What does it say is the active TeX Distribution?

TexLive-2010

I didn't know about this pane, did I miss it during installation?

> Do you have a symbolic link /usr/texbin?

Yes:

lrwxr-xr-x     1 root  wheel     63 Feb 21 22:44 texbin@ -> ../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386

When I: cd /usr/texbin; pwd
/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin

> What do you get if you run
> ls -aF /usr/texbin
> assuming you have that link?

% ls -aF /usr/texbin
/usr/texbin@

> Do you have a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? If so, what is its
> contents?

% more ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
/Users/tds/.MacOSX/environment.plist: No such file or directory

> Are you setting the PATH variable there or in a .profile
> or .bash_profile, etc? You shouldn't be doing this!

I'm using tcsh for better or worse ...
the .tcshrc contains:
setenv TEXINPUTS /Users/tds/tools/latex/powerdot/distrib/run:

> Does everything work properly when you use TeXShop? That would be a
> real indicator that you are manually setting environment variables
> that are messing the system up.

Generally I don't use TeXShop (I prefer vim and commandline with
atchange to trigger typesetting), but I gave it a whirl and it typeset
a small document just fine.

I think the installation I have now is just fine (other than having
old files).  I would suggest letting the user choose to switch to the
new version at installation time (if that is possible) when there are
older versions.  It would help to tell users that it can be switched
in the preferences pane.

> Good Luck,

Thanks!

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  toms at alum.mit.edu (permanent)