[texhax] MS Word & Mathtype to TeX

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 20:21:24 CET 2011

Thomas Schneider wrote:
> Philip:
>
>>     PdfTeX <whatever>.tex
>>     Start <whatever>.pdf
>
> On my machine that has latex in the path:
>
> % which latex
> /usr/texbin/latex
> % latex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live 2011)
>   restricted \write18 enabled.
> **^C
> %
>
> I get:
>
> % which PdfTeX
> PdfTeX: Command not found.
> % which Start
> Start: Command not found.
> % PdfTeX
> PdfTeX: Command not found.
>
> Now what?

Two possibilities :

1) Use a different system;
2) Conduct a gedankenexperiment and mentally put yourself
     in the place of Cornwall 5, whom we know (from reading
     his messages) uses Microsoft Windows.  If he has TeX installed
     (anyone's TeX : it doesn't have to be TeX Live, or MikTeX,
     or ProText, or any other specific version) what will happen
     when he types "PdfTeX" ?

He will get something similar to the following :

> C:\Documents and Settings\Censored>PdfTeX
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (Web2C 2010)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> **

and when he types "Start <whatever>.pdf", he will launch
either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

And he will be happy.

** Phil.