[texhax] supertabular oddity with page break

Thomas M. Sommers tmsommers2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:03:00 CET 2011

In the below document, as it is, LaTeX apparently thinks that the last
section heading is on the previous page, so it starts the supertabular
environment on yet another new page.  This does not happen with the
regular tabular environment.  I can "fix" things by issuing an
explicit \newpage, but I was wondering if anyone knew why this was
happening.

-------- snip --------------
\documentclass[oneside]{book}

\usepackage{supertabular}

\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0.95in}
\addtolength{\textheight}{1.5in}
\addtolength\topmargin{-.6in}

\tablelasttail{}

%---------------------------------------
\begin{document}

%---------------------------------------
\chapter[Second Declension]{Second Declension Masculine Nouns and
Adjectives; Apposition; Word Order}

\section{Grammar}

\subsection{The Second Declension}

need three\\
lines\\
here

\subsubsection{Masculines in -us}

\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{llll}
\multicolumn{4}{c}{\sc Singular} \\
Nom. \\
Gen. \\
Dat. \\
Acc. \\
Abl. \\
Voc. \\
\end{tabular}
\end{center}

\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{llll}
\multicolumn{4}{c}{\sc Plural} \\
Nom. \\
Gen. \\
Dat. \\
Acc. \\
Abl. \\
\end{tabular}
\end{center}

\subsubsection{Masculines in -er}

need\\
four\\
lines\\
here
% But add another four and the problem goes away.
%\\
%one\\
%two\\
%three\\
%four

% Or add a \newpage and it works correctly.
%\newpage
\section{Vocabulary}

% Use tabular instead of supertabular and there is no problem.
%\begin{tabular}{lll}
\begin{supertabular}{lll}
ager, agr\=\i & m. & field, farm \\
agricola, agricolae & m. & farmer \\