[texhax] Superstitions

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Sat Apr 23 22:21:24 CEST 2011

On April 23, 2011, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> 2011/4/23 Gordon Haverland <ghaverla at materialisations.com>
>
> > I don't suppose there is some easy way to deal with
> > superstitions in LaTeX?  I looked around CTAN a bit, and
> > nothing jumped out at me.
> >
> > I suspect the company I am doing work for is superstitious,
> > or customers are.  But I ran across an enumerated list where
> > there is
> >
> > no 13'th element.  What I've done is:
> >    13) Purposely blank.
> >
> > But is there something else that is more universal?
>
> You're kidding, aren't you?
>
> If you are *really not* kidding I suppose the way to go would
> be to check in an enumerate list if you are at the thirteenth
> element and insert the "13) Purposely blank" item.

It has to be more involved than that.  If the 12/13 interface
breaks a page, and hence the first item on the next page is 14
(because 13 is supposed to be missing), do people wonder what
happened to 13?  In the middle of the page to go 11, 12, 14, 15
is probably okay.

I'm not superstitious, but lots of people are.

Gord