[texhax] TFM format question

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 21 00:18:24 CEST 2011

Hi Doug,

It seems that instance of manfnt.tfm somehow became bogus.  I don't know
how or when it was generated.  When I rerun mf on manfnt.mf
(mf '\mode:=cx; input manfnt'), the resulting .tfm does not have the
wrong values for bc and ec, as far as I can tell from a quick check.

I'll fix it in CTAN/TL as soon as I have chance.

As for what happens with processing of the current manfnt.tfm ... it
seems the characters below the |bc| value are silently accepted.
tftopl.web has a variety of comments saying that all characters should
lie between bc and ec, but evidently the code is more forgiving.

Best,
karl