[texhax] Problem Inserting Graphic from PDF Source

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Apr 1 16:28:47 CEST 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Stephen Bishop wrote:

>  I'm using MikTex 2.9 with TexWorks and trying to insert a PDF file into my document as an image using the \includegraphics command. The displays fine the first time it is compiled, but subsequently displays as narrow black line at the top of the page in the PDF output. The only way I can see the image is to exit TexWorks and restart the application and the same thing occurs again:  it displays one time then the black line. When this first happened, there was a message in the console that an internal buffer overflow had occured, but that message no longer appears. The PDF file size is only 13 kb. It was created by printing a page of a report in Crystal Reports to a PDF file using the Adobe driver.

Using what settings? Which driver? AdobePDF or an older one?

> I have tried this on two machines. One, at work, runs Windows XP and my laptop runs Windows 7 64 bit version. The same output occurs on both machines. I tried inserting another PDF file (64 kb) to test the process and it works fine.
>
> Can anyone help with this problem?

My suggestion would be to fix the .pdf by normalizing it somehow:

 - dump it to a .eps, then re-distill it
 - open it up in the full version of Adobe Acrobat and pre-flight it against a PDF standard and re-save it
 - process it using a printer's RIP like Prinergy

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer