[texhax] Executing a script with \href{run:script.sh}

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 23:10:54 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Alan Litchfield <alan at alphabyte.co.nz> wrote:
> Dumb question, but is vertigo.sh a binary?

Not a dumb question, but, yes it is. I wanted to use the script to
start playback of a video file with an external player with custom
flags (as it isn't possible to play videos inline in Acrobat on Linux
(doesn't work very well under OSX either AFAICT)). However, I have
solved it by setting a per file custom open command (I'm using Gnome:
right-click the file in question, choose Properties... Under the 'Open
with' tab add a custom command. I used mplayer -fs -noborder which
makes sure the video playback window will stay on top and fill the
screen until end of file is reached. Now I can add videos either with

\href{run:media/video.avi}{\includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{media/video-still.png}}

or

\movie[loop,autostart,poster,showcontrols=true,externalviewer]{\includegraphics[width=7cm]{media/video-still.png}}{media/video.avi}

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to autoplay. Both of these
methods still require that I click the image to start the playback.
Any suggestions? Apart from that I'm quite happy with the result.

best,

/Henrik