[texhax] Importing a Linux document into Windows

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Sep 19 21:08:29 CEST 2010

"Ulrich Grün" <ulrich.gruen at gmail.com>, 01.09.2010 10:54:26:
>>> Anyone here with an idea how to import a Linux document into Windows, and
>>> what encoding to use?
> I have installed TexNicCenter and LEd (I used the former).
> How do I save a file in some encoding? Is that something I have to do
> in Kile (the editor I use in Linux), or is it a file attribute?

Sorry for reading this late.

You may have found out for Kile yourself in the meantime. Where I am just sitting, I don't have Kile installed, and so can't help.

However, I know about `mousepad', installed as part of Linpus Linux Lite. When you try "save as" with mousepad, you get a choice for the text format. You just must choose the format that you call by

    \usepackage[<fmt>]{inputenc}

So, e.g., save as UTF-8, and use

    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

So in the worst case, you can install mousepad on your Linux, and use it to `convert' your .tex files into a useful encoding.

The other way round, you may discover in a similar way what the encoding of your original .tex files actually is, and call this encoding <fmt> by \usepackage[<fmt>]{inputenc}.

I rather hope this gives you an idea for finding a way with the editors you actually use.

So this is not much a matter of Linux/Windows. At least not when moving from Linux to Windows. For the other direction, indeed one could expect that the encoding is "Windows-1252", similar to "ISO 8859-1" ("Latin-1") and "ISO 8859-15" ("Latin-9").

The respective `inputenc' options are `cp1252', `latin1', and `latin9'. You could just try them.

Cf. Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1

    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1

HTH -- Uwe.