[texhax] Referencing help

Dan vi5u0-texhax at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 16:52:44 CEST 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, David Lumsden wrote:

> Using Sunil's templates I thought all I would need to do is insert
> this information into the bibliography.bib file but the pdf created
> still shows the original references in Sunil's template.
> There is however a thesis.BBL file which contains the original
> references and I'm unsure about where these come into the whole setup
> of the template.

> Could you please advise me on how to best place references in via
> refworks successfully in this template.

Probably what you need to do is something like this:

1. Run LaTeX on your thesis with a command like
latex thesis.tex
This will create a file with extension "aux".  Among other things, the
"aux" file contains a list of what bibliographic references are needed
for your thesis, based on the \cite commands (etc) in your thesis.

2. Run BibTeX on your thesis with a command like
bibtex thesis
This will search the bibliography.bib file for information that's
relevant to the references needed (according to the "aux" file) for
your thesis, format that information appropriately (according to the
\bibliographystyle command in your thesis), and put the correctly
formatted information in the thesis.bbl file.

3. Run LaTeX on your thesis again (probably two or three times to get
cross-references right).  This will compile your thesis including the
bibliographic information that's now in thesis.bbl.

--

HTH,

Dan