[texhax] equations number backwards

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Sep 6 10:13:13 CEST 2010

Max Lein wrote:
> I've encountered a very strange bug in my PhD thesis: equations at one point start numbering backwards, e. g. equation (B3) follows (B3), then (B1) and the next is (B-5). The number of decrement seems to correspond to the number of lines that do not have an equation number (I'm using the align environment and I would set the \notag flag in the lines that I do not want numbered).
>
> There is no suspicious output in the log file.
>
> I'm at a loss here since I have never encountered this phenomenon before. So far, I've done the following:
> - I've tried using pdflatex instead of xelatex (no effect).
> - I've deactivated hyperref (since there were some `pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier' warnings), but no effect.
> - I've tried using book instead of scrbook as documentclass (no effect).
>
> There is nothing special about the code I've used. I can post some sample code, but the whole document is ~200 pages long and split into quite a few tex files. In fact, I've used part of the code before in papers without any problems.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've tried googling it, but came up empty. If you need anything, please let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Max

create the smallest possible document you can which shows the problem.
Often it is a good idea to take a copy of your a project to a clean
directory and then start removing stuff until you cannot remove any more
and still have the bug.

Often this process will reveil the cause of your problems

--

/daleif