[texhax] Help with footnotes

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Fri Sep 3 16:13:16 CEST 2010

Eventally, I solved both problems.  I include the ad hoc solutions in case
they might help other people.  As for the 2bis (it turned out there was a
1bis and 1ter as well) this does it:

and then \gnote{text} will do the automatic numbering, while
\gnote[2bis]{text} will give 2bis as the footnote mark (I actually changed
this to 2$'$).  For a second footnote series, I used:

note: #1}}}

and it all seems to work.

Just two more comments: I searched for "footnote" on ctan and did not find
the manyfoot mentioned below.  And I had to modify the \alph command:

   \ifcase#1\or a\or b\or c\or d\or e\or f\or g\or h\or i\or j\or
    k\or l\or m\or n\or o\or p\or q\or r\or s\or t\or u\or v\or w\or x\or
     y\or z \or aa \or bb \or cc \or dd \or ee \or ff  \or gg  \or hh
  \or ii \or jj \or kk \or ll \or mm \or nn \or oo \or pp \or qq \or rr \or
ss \or tt \or uu \or vv \or ww \or xx \or yy \or zz

because I had more than 26 (but fewer than 52) translator's notes.