[texhax] Misplaced parentheses

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 29 22:38:54 CEST 2010

Am 29.10.2010 um 22:09 schrieb Michael Barr:

> Perhaps the person (I deleted the note because it was so unresponsive) who thinks my right bracket was misplaced can explain why the right parenthesis is misplaced in the following.
>
> \documentstyle{article}
> \begin{document}
> $(\widehat d)$
> \end{document}

I think it's a combination of the limitations of TeX's math typesetting algorithms (using \skewchar and italic correction for accent placement etc.) and font design choices. For example, I find the result with Cambria Math (compiled with LuaTeX) quite a bit nicer:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
\setmathfont{Cambria Math}
\begin{document}
$(\hat d)$
\end{document}

Maybe you just have to switch to a different math font.