[texhax] Badly placed \widehat

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Oct 29 22:55:33 CEST 2010

On 29 October 2010 Michael Barr wrote:

 > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
 >
 > > Michael Barr wrote:
 > >
 > >>  \documentstyle{article}
 > >>  \def\bbrack#1{[\![#1]\!]}
 > >>  \begin{document}
 > >>  $\bbrack{\widehat c =\widehat d}$
 > >>  \end{document}
 > >>
 > >>  Yes, I could add extra space after the argument, but that is a real
 > >>  kludge. My real question is why can't I get the \widehat to actually be
 > >>  centered over its argument. As you can see, it starts halfway along the
 > >>  "d" and ends well to the right. This is also true of the one on the "c"
 > >>  so it is not just centering over an ascender.
 > >
 > > Is it not centered w.r.t. the italic slope ?
 > > ** Phil.
 >

 > I don't really care what it is centered with respect to.  It looks awful
 > and I don't expect tex to produce awful-looking output.  In all cases it
 > ought to be centered over the glyph, not some extension of the slope.

Michael, I fear that you are wrong.  $\widehat{c}=\widehat{d}$ *is*
correct and *looks* correct.  Please try $\widehat{X}=\widehat{Y}$ too
and you'll see that it *has* to be done this way.

However, what IMO is incorrect is the output of $[c = d]$.  On the
other hand, $[\mathrm{c}=\mathrm{d}]$ looks ok.

  \documentclass{article}
  \parskip=2ex
  \begin{document}
  $\widehat c =\widehat d$ \par