[texhax] Local search path

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 11:34:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 10:08 +0100, Thierry wrote:
> Is there a way to tell pdflatex to search for files in these
> directories WITHOUT
> making explicit reference to the complete path in the \input, \include
> and
> \usepackage command?
> I known that for picture files it is possible with the command
> \graphicspath
> from the package graphicx
> What for .sty files and .tex files, and any other files?
> May be I could play with a texmf.cnf file to add some subdirectories:
> "pictures", "styles", "inputs" etc... in the TEXINPUTS variable.

This is the obvious way to do it, but I guess it depends on your
operating system as to how you go about setting your personal TEXINPUTS
variable. You should read the FAQ at

In my linux system, for example, my .cshrc file sets up my shell
environment variables something like:

setenv TEXINPUTS .:/usr/share/latex2html/texinputs:/home/sjs/mylatex//:

The trailing // will descend recursively into sub-directories of
mylatex, so I put all my things there (you could have subdirectories of
styles, inputs, etc.; or you could add specific directories to
TEXINPUTS. The leading "." ensures tex searches the current working
directory, although that is probably unnecessary. I'm not 100% sure that
the graphicx package uses these paths, but you already know how to
specify the graphicspath.

Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs