[texhax] document broken under windows

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:04:43 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 09:13:12PM +0200, Paul Isambert wrote:

>  Question: instead of Heiko's code, why not simply \pdfescapestring?

That's a good choice, if you
(a) are using pdfTeX
(b) the string is a plain (ascii) text string without TeX markup.

* Remarks for (a)

LuaTeX is supported via package `pdftexcmds' and \pdf at escapestring.
And package `pdfescape' adds support for other TeX engines.
However, the feature isn't expandable again.

\usepackage{pdfescape}

\EdefEscapeString\mystring{...}
% and using \mystring instead of "...".

* Remarks for (b)

> \cooltooltip{label}{description}{\pdfescapestring{more
> description(}}{}{content}

The description isn't the best candidate for \pdfescapestring,
because it's user input that might contain TeX markup,
also active characters can contain TeX markup (see package
inputenc). In this case I consider \pdfstringdef the best
choice, especially if hyperref is already loaded.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek