[texhax] Stretchable \baselineskip, per-page?

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Oct 7 05:22:57 CEST 2010

"Aleksandar Zec" <zealeksanman at gmail.com>, 07.10.2010 01:08:20:
> I have a book with plain text and footnotes, with \parskip=0pt.
>
> A simple question: is it possible to have something like "stretchable
> \baselineskip" for normaltext? I.e. can I instruct LaTeX to always
> vertically stretch all normal lines that appear on a given page, in
> order to eliminate any white space (at the bottom of the page or
> before footnotes block)?

1. plain TeX: \advance\baselineskip 0pt plus 1pt;
LaTeX: \addtolength{\baselineskip}{0pt plus 1pt} with \flushbottom.

2. However, \baselineskip is reset with every \normalsize.
bk12.clo, e.g., has
\renewcommand\normalsize{%
 \@setfontsize\normalsize\@xiipt{14.5}%

copy the entire definition between \makeatletter ... \makeatother
and replace {14.5} by {14.5 \@plus 1pt}

... do you see a difference?

Cheers,

    Uwe.