[texhax] How to put the chapter into report title

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Oct 6 00:04:37 CEST 2010

Thanks Uwe,
On 6/10/2010, at 10:43 AM, Uwe Lueck wrote:

> I think you should not use \maketitle for this purpose, you should
> just use \includeonly.
> In order to get separate proof files for each chapter, you could
> have tiny files named something like `myrepchX.tex'
> calling a shared `myrep.tex'. The latter is a LaTeX main document
> file with
>    \includeonly{\includechap}
> in its preamble, and the content of `myrepchX.tex' just is
>    \newcommand{\includechap}{chapX}
>    \input{\myrep}
> `X' is meant to be a placeholder for a chapter id.
> So each "title page" is simply the starting page of a chapter
> exactly as in the final report version.
> Maybe I missed something?
> HTH though -- Uwe.

But how does that fill the content of \title{...} with what already
exists in \chapter{...} in the inputted file?

For example the header file looks like:

\author{Alan Litchfield}
\title{<I want the chapter text to appear here in the output>}

And where production.tex looks like

\chapter{Work as the means to production}

Alan T Litchfield
PO Box 1941, Auckland, 1140
New Zealand