[texhax] How to put the chapter into report title

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Oct 5 23:43:28 CEST 2010

"Alan T Litchfield" <alan at alphabyte.co.nz>, 15.09.2010 21:55:24:
>I am using the report class with pdfLaTeX to generate chapter proofs
>(that's because the whole thing uses report and I want easy
>consistency).
>
>The preamble looks pretty much the same as the header file for the
>whole document. For the whole document all the chapters are linked
>using \include{..} and for this chapter proof the content references
>only one chapter to include at a time.
>
>What I want to achieve is to put the contents of \chapter{...} into
>\title{...} so when I run \maketitle the chapter title appears as the
>report title,along the lines of:
>
>Chapter proof
>The name of the chapter
>
>I am using \maketitle to capture the date of the proof.
>
>How can I use the chapter title as the report title?

I think you should not use \maketitle for this purpose, you should just use \includeonly.

In order to get separate proof files for each chapter, you could have tiny files named something like `myrepchX.tex'
calling a shared `myrep.tex'. The latter is a LaTeX main document file with

    \includeonly{\includechap}

in its preamble, and the content of `myrepchX.tex' just is

    \newcommand{\includechap}{chapX}
    \input{\myrep}

`X' is meant to be a placeholder for a chapter id.

So each "title page" is simply the starting page of a chapter exactly as in the final report version.

Maybe I missed something?

HTH though -- Uwe.