[texhax] [pdftex] image XObjects in pdfTeX or XeTeX PDF output?

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Wed Nov 24 10:46:37 CET 2010

 > Also, by "font expansion," do we mean what InDesign calls "glyph

Yes, except pdfTeX is a little bit subtler.

First, font expansion can be used after the lines have been justified
(\pdfadjustspacing=1), in which case TeX builds the paragraph without
expansion and applies it in a cosmetic fashion afterward, so lines look
better, or it can be used in the justification process

Second, each character has an \efcode that sets how much it can be
expanded, in thousandth of the expansion defined for the font it belongs
to. I'm not sure it makes a difference to the naked eye, though.