[texhax] Problem with Appendices

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Nov 20 13:17:47 CET 2010

"Barbara Beeton" <bnb at ams.org>, 19.11.2010 20:07:37
>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Uwe Lueck wrote:
>    >From "amsbook" I guess this unanswered request
>    > is an AMS issue, therefore that Cc.
[...]
> as it turned out, at least these three
> packages being used overwrote the normal
> conventions of amsbook:
> - appendix.sty
> - titletoc.sty
> - titlesec.sty
>so it's really not an amsbook problem.

I have anxiously checked now that I hadn't missed these packages before.

> the only "simple" solution i could find
> was a real hack -- add the line
>  \addtocontents{toc}{\def\chaptername{Appendix}}
> immediately after the line
>  \appendix
> in the file.  this did the trick.
>
> let this be a warning that not all document
> classes have been tested with all possible
> add-on packages, and vice versa.  and the
> authors of the different classes and
> packages may not be intimately familiar
> with the workings of the other ones.  we
> do try to be helpful, so that a user will
> end up with what s/he wants, but sometimes
> the circumstances are just too arcane to
> provide an "elegant" or "permanent" solution.

I have always thought of some "pecking order":
When a "less important" package X turns out
to be incompatible with a "more important"
package Y, X must strive for compatibility.
A package from the "required" LaTeX distribution
such as the AMS packages certainly is a
"Very Important Package".

Once I had to do this for lineno.sty and/or
ednotes.sty, in the sense that they can be
loaded together with amsmath, but I
couldn't yet afford to number amsmath
display lines with lineno.sty.

Cheers,